Our nephew Sid, from Nebraska, was spending a week with us when this all started. Well, that’s not exactly correct. Maybe I should preface this by admitting that the “brains” of our upright freezer was acting up a bit in the last few weeks. Whenever opening the freezer to get something out, the temperature would immediately show warmer by twenty degrees, only to go back to zero in ten or fifteen minutes after I shut the door. Since everything inside was frozen solid, I figured the display was going crazy. I could replace that after Sid left and after my brother’s family departure the following week. With all this company, I had too much going on to deal with a part that could wait.
After a leisurely day of fishing with FD and Sid, we returned to find the freezer beeping a warning of high temperature and power failure. Sure enough, my in-laws confirmed we’d had a power outage for a short while. But as I looked at the shelves of meat and vegetables, I discovered a layer of frost at the bottom and some of the food items toward the front were thawing! That meant that one of the defrost thermostat parts had malfunctioned again – something we had to replace the previous two years. Unfortunately, it was Saturday and the local repair service was closed. So FD, Sid and I scrambled around cramming the frozen meats, vegetables, and fruits into the two house refrigerator freezers and a couple of large coolers. We cleaned and smoked the fish we’d caught that morning, since there would be no way to freeze any of it.
Monday I called the repairman, but it was late afternoon by the time he stopped over. Not only was a faulty defrost thermistor the problem, but the main controller or the “brains” was on the skitz as well. And it would be Wednesday before the parts would be in. Meanwhile, on Tuesday, I returned Sid to Wichita to meet my sister Jules there – the halfway point. I had two days to get the house ready for my brother’s family to arrive, and by then the freezer would be fixed. I called the appliance shop on Wednesday but the parts had still not arrived. On Thursday, the repairman told me one of the two parts that arrived was not the correct one, so it would now be Saturday, at the earliest, before I’d have the freezer up and running. My brother’s family arrived early Friday morning, so we kept a continual supply of ice over the weekend. Saturday came and went with no call from the appliance repair, and no one could say on Monday just when the repairman might come by. The fruit had already thawed the previous week, and despite being Foodsaver vacuum sealed, I noted every package of fruit was tasteless. Somehow it had ruined.
Of course, once the freezer was finally fixed the following Tuesday and I had put foods back in the upright, I noticed how the refrigerator freezers and the refrigerator shelves and drawers needed cleaning too. And from there, well, I cleaned the top of the refrigerators… and being up so high, I started to notice the cob webs, and dust, and film that coated every knickknack displayed on the cabinet tops. At this point, I felt an impending doom, which I sat on for a few days, thinking it wasn’t that bad. But it was. And so today is the day I begin cleaning.
The last time I did this type of cleaning was in January of 2015 – Disastrous Dusting . I suppose I should not gripe too much about the daunting task since it only seems to rear its ugly head every few years and, to me, that length of time between deep cleanings is doable. Most of the time I can turn a blind eye to a little “natural” dust!
© 2018 Day by Day the Farm Girl Way…